Dr. Patrick Pauken, who serves as “Of Counsel” for McGown & Markling, stands out even among the impressive legal minds that make up the team. Along with his work with the law firm, Patrick also serves as Professor and Director of the School of Educational Foundations, Leadership, and Policy at Bowling Green State University (“BGSU”), where he is serves as Secretary to the BGSU Board of Trustees. From 2011-2013, Patrick served as the lead negotiator for the BGSU administration in collective bargaining with the BGSU Faculty Association and remains active in the implementation of the bargained contract. At BGSU, he works closely with the student, staff, and faculty governance groups and coordinates leadership development programs for faculty administrators.
Patrick’s primary teaching responsibilities include school law, higher education law, special education law, and moral and ethical leadership. He has presented and published in various areas of ethics and school law including school violence, cyberbullying, intellectual property, special education, and higher education. Patrick is a frequent presenter at the Education Law Association and the University Council for Educational Administration, and has published in legal journals both nationally and internationally. Patrick served as president of the Education Law Association in 2015. At the Education Law Association’s 64th Annual Conference, Patrick was selected to be honored with the McGhehey Award, which is a national lifetime achievement award presented by the Education Law Association for Patrick’s service in the area of education law.
Prior to becoming a school attorney, Patrick appeared on Jeopardy! At BGSU, Patrick serves as faculty advisor to the award-winning and insanely talented Ten40 Acappella, an all-male a cappella group.
Awards & Accomplishments
- Recipient of the McGhehey Award by the Education Law Association, 2018.
- Recipient of the Faculty Distinguished Service Award at BGSU.
- Recipient of the American Mensa Distinguished Teacher of the Year, 2007.
- Co-author on the casebook, Law, Policy, and Higher Education, published by Lexis-Nexis.
- The Ohio State University, B.A., actuarial science, summa cum laude, history of art minor, 1990
- The Ohio State University, J.D., 1994
- The Ohio State University, Ph.D., educational administration, 1997
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Education Law Committee
- Ohio Council of School Board Attorneys
- Education Law Association
- University Council for Educational Administration
- The Ohio Supreme Court