Susan McGown was a founding director of McGown & Markling, which is a statewide law firm representing public entities, officials, and employees throughout Ohio in diverse practice areas.
Susan is now retired from the practice of law.
While an active member of the McGown & Markling team, Susan’s legal peers consistently selected her as one of The Best Lawyers in America® in Education Law, as well as the practice areas of Employment Law – Management and Labor Law – Management.
Susan served as a school psychologist and coordinator of special education for various Ohio school districts, as well as an adjunct faculty member for the University of Akron School of Law. Susan has also given countless presentations on education law throughout her legal career.
Susan enjoys travel, gardening, and outdoor activities. Her passion for the outdoors and the environment has led her to serving as a volunteer for Cuyahoga Valley National Park, attaining certification as an Ohio Certified Volunteer Naturalist and becoming a Summit County Master Gardener Volunteer.
- Cornell University, B.A., 1975
- Kent State University, M.Ed., 1976
- Kent State University, Ed.S., 1977
- University of Akron, J.D., 1988
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Education Law Committee
- The Ohio Supreme Court
- The United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- The United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio