Dr. Andrew Povtak is an associate with McGown & Markling. Andrew is integral to the many successful outcomes McGown & Markling clients enjoy. Andrew works hard for clients, day and night, in many areas of law such as education law, labor and employment, pupil services, litigation, grievance arbitration, discrimination charges, policy revision, property valuation, and general consultation.
Andrew brings a unique background that serves our clients. Following law school, Andrew practiced as an employment discrimination litigator before pursuing a doctorate in political science at Kent State University. After earning his Ph.D., Andrew taught political science and paralegal studies at various area colleges before returning to practice law. And Andrew continues to serve as an adjunct professor at Kent State University. Andrew’s research has been published in a leading political science journal, and he has presented several research articles to the Midwest Political Science Association Conference in Chicago.
Academics aside, Andrew is a veteran hockey player and coach. Andrew served as the ice hockey club president at Case Western Reserve University and was voted captain by his teammates in his senior year. Andrew also helped lead his post-collegiate recreation league team to three championships, including two national tournament victories in Toronto. While Andrew’s competitive playing days are behind him, Andrew coaches his two sons in the Strongsville Youth Hockey Club. Andrews lives with his wife, Jennifer, and their two sons in Fairlawn, Ohio.
Awards & Accomplishments
- High Pass, American Politics Field Exam
- Co-authored “The Christian Right Thesis: Explaining Longitudinal Change in Participation Among Evangelical Christians” with Dr. Ryan Claassen; published in The Journal of Politics, Vol. 72, No. 1 (January 2010)
- Featured speaker for Kent State University – Stark Campus’s Constitution Day celebration (yearly since 2011)
- Serves as secretary on the Board of Trustees for EdFOCUS, a non-profit education and teacher training company
- Case Western Reserve University, BA, cum laude, English and political science, 2000
- Cleveland State University, JD, 2004
- Kent State University, Ph.D., political science, 2011
- The Ohio Supreme Court